October 1 (Reuters) – A United Nations mission arrived in Nagorno-Karabakh on Sunday, Azerbaijani media reported, as a mass exodus of Armenians from the region neared its end following an Azerbaijani military offensive last month.
The mission, led by a senior UN aid official, is the world body’s first access to the region in nearly 30 years.
Armenia has asked the international court to order Azerbaijan to withdraw all its forces from civilian facilities in Nagorno-Karabakh and allow the United Nations access.
The international court, officially known as the International Court of Justice, in February ordered Azerbaijan to ensure freedom of movement through an area known as the Lachin Corridor leading to and from the region.
The Armenian government said late Sunday evening that the process of transferring those wishing to move from Nagorno-Karabakh to neighboring Armenia is nearing its end, RIA News Agency quoted the Armenian government as saying late Sunday evening.
Earlier on Sunday, the World Health Organization said more than 100,000 Armenians from Nagorno-Karabakh made the trip in less than a week.
“We have activated our emergency systems and will send experts to the country across a range of specialties including mental health, burn management, basic health services and emergency coordination after a full assessment of needs,” Dr. Hans-Henri B. Kluge, Regional Director of the WHO Regional Office for Europe, said. In a statement.
“The challenges are truly enormous, and we are there to do everything we can.”
The departure of hungry and exhausted Armenian families this week was affected by an explosion at a fuel depot that killed at least 170 people.
Writing by Alexandre Maru. Edited by Hugh Lawson and Jane Merriman
Our standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
“Infuriatingly humble analyst. Bacon maven. Proud food specialist. Certified reader. Avid writer. Zombie advocate. Incurable problem solver.”