Carlito officially returned to WWE last weekend fast line. When he did, it was surprising not to hear his old entrance music. The “I spit in the face of people who don’t want to be cool” intro is gone, replaced by “Do you know what cool is?” This is me.” The Caribbean-style beat is a little different, too.
In an interview with Cheap Heat at Ringer’s Wrestling ShowCarlito explained the process behind the WWE-directed change. And if you’re not a fan of the new tune, he says it’s not…but it might hook you like he did to it:
“It’s a little different. I wanted to do something a little different, you know what I mean? It’s been a long time coming, you know, you have to change with the times a little bit, so I wanted to keep my cool but just show something new. From what I heard, it wasn’t People are excited about the title song yet but I think – I wasn’t, so maybe it’s one of those things that might grow in your mind later. But, we’ll see.
“They ran it by me. They wanted to change it. I wasn’t crazy about changing it. I, like everyone else, wanted to keep it. I liked the way it was, but they said, ‘We want to change it.’ ‘Well, let’s see what we can do.’ And they asked me about My input here and there… “Could use a little more bass here, a little more drums,” little things like that and then the lines, I wanted to change it up. I didn’t want the old lines before. Like I said, I wasn’t crazy about it, but also, It was like one of those earworms that I’d hum to myself during the day, you know? Because they said, “I’ve listened to it 1,000 times,” and then I’d find myself humming it here without even noticing it, and it just grew on me a little bit, so maybe, I hope – I know people don’t like change. I’m that guy too. I’m not crazy about change, but I think it’s something that needs to be done, you know, to put a fresh coat of paint on everything.
Elsewhere in the interview, he explained why his new deal was taking so long to be finalized despite appearing on Royal Rumble ’21 and fast line In Puerto Rico earlier this year:
“The reason I think it took so long is because there was a misunderstanding between the two sides. I thought I had heat with them, they thought they had heat with me and there were just days we didn’t communicate. Sometimes, time goes by and you see things in a different way, And like I said, I always loved WWE, and I always wanted to be in WWE. It’s just that I needed a break. I didn’t need a break for 13 years, but even when they talked to me, they were kind of hesitant. They thought I was anti-WWE, are you? You know what I mean? No, it’s not like that. I don’t go backstage and say hello to everyone… It’s like you’re looking for a job so I’m not doing that, you know what I mean? My resume is out there… I don’t want to be in Anywhere they don’t want me. So I was saying my resume is over there. If you want me, I’m here, but, I think they kind of took that action because he didn’t want anything to do with us, so, I’m glad we were finally able to sit down and air it all Something (out) and showing it. I think there’s love on both sides.
With this misunderstanding resolved, it appears that Carlito will continue working with Bobby Lashley & Street Profits after the group attacked him during his interview on smack down Last night (October 13). He and Rey Mysterio will be in Santos Escobar’s corner for Escobar’s match with Team Montez Ford next Friday.
This should give us plenty of time to get used to the new entrance.
free Post-wrestling To transcribe podcasts
“Lifelong beer expert. General travel enthusiast. Social media buff. Zombie maven. Communicator.”