Taylor Swift Era’s Movie Concert Tour Dumps Studios to Deal with AMC – Billboard

Thursday’s announcement that AMC Theaters is partnering with Taylor Swift to present the show Taylor Swift/Concert Film for the Ages Tour In thousands of North American cinemas starting October 13, it was a huge success – both in terms of cultural impact and ticket sales, which broke AMC’s record for single-day advance revenue with $26 million in its first 24 hours.

According to a new report in demonthe unorthodox deal to bypass traditional studios and instead release the film directly in theaters with AMC Theaters as distributor only came about after discussions with traditional distributors, including Universal Pictures, broke down.

The story claims that talks with AMC Theaters began more than three months ago — while Swift was already in the midst of her U.S. Eras Tour and before filming the concert film at some Los Angeles shows in August — after AMC. CEO Adam Aaron “I got a call from a friend who also knew him [Swift’s father] Scott Swift“The Swift team was interested in talking.

Citing sources, the report states that Aaron personally negotiated the deal directly with Swift’s parents, Scott and Swift Andrea Swift, over a period of several weeks. Among the terms agreed upon is that 43% of the total will remain with the theaters, while the remaining 57% will be shared (in an unspecified split) between the Swifts and AMC. (Variance Films, a small distribution subsidiary, was reportedly contracted to book the film at Regal, Cinemark and other theaters on a fee-for-service basis.) Notably, standard tickets for the film will be $19.89 (plus tax) for adults and $13.13 For children and the elderly (plus tax).

See also  WGA and AMPTP to meet again next week - Deadline

All theaters showing the Sam Wrench-directed film will also reportedly receive all concession proceeds, including any memorabilia items from the Eras Tour. The story claims that AMC and Cinemark have also ordered four million posters to give away to fans for free, while a “small offering” of paid merchandise is planned.

Other details in the report include that theaters showing the film (which reportedly had a budget between $10 million and $20 million) must agree to show it for at least four weeks and can show it for up to 26 weeks without worry. The terms of the deal will change. Plus, after 13 weeks, the Swifts are free to release the film on streaming services (streaming rights are still up for grabs).

At least one traditional film studio that discussed distributing the film with the Swifts was reportedly under the impression that the film would be a 2025 release — after the tour’s global run is completed — but according to the story, the Swifts decided to strike while fan demand for all the things Taylor arrived at All-time highs.

Speculation has rife that the unusual deal could lead to similar plays by AMC and other exhibitors to act as distributors for other major concert films, and indeed, demon The report notes that “AMC is already talking about what other major artists might want in a Taylorstyle deal” — suggesting there could be more such deals in the future.

Representatives for Taylor Swift and AMC Theaters did not immediately return paintingRequests for comment on this story.

See also  Seth Rollins wins the United States Championship

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *